Tuesday, September 25, 2007

pretty girls

there are so many pretty girls in this city. i notice this mostly at shows and on the subway. the last time i hung out with charlie, i told him about my amazement at just how many pretty girls i see on the subway. he agreed. it's distracting, really. pleasing, yes. it sort of restores your fait in...beauty? i don't know what. but i know they make me happy.

this girl you can't even really see:



but trust. she was gorgeous.

i loved this girl's style:



khaki jacket with that purple scarf. i wish i could rock a scarf like that. cause that's not a real scarf. it was august. it was a decorative scarf. i'm too much of a utilitarian to let myself play with decorative scarves. as much as this dismays my grandmother.

this girl was all long legs and simple dress:



reading a book, all like, "yeah, don't bother me." i guess that's how we all are on the subway. if i have a book, i don't notice other people. if i'm listening to music i'm sort of lost in my own world. if i'm coming home late after throwing back a few, i'm a total gawker. i'm just amazed by who i see in the harsh light, being thrown against each other as the 6 train lurches this way and that. i think they may be the only reason i stay in this city.

the pretty girl that affected me the most (on the subway at least) was one i encountered on my way to wings back in the spring. i was in an odd mood....confused, unsure, what have you. and she came on and made me believe that happiness lay ahead. she had orange hair and was smiling ear to ear. i'm assuming she had just left a boy that made her deliriously happy. i could be wrong...but i know that smile quite well. she was very tall. she had on a green shirt and a grey skirt and a black cardigan. she got off at union square. she was amazing...and changed my entire mood. i wrote in my calendar, "fell in love with a girl with orange hair."

the same thing happened to me about two weeks ago at a savoir adore show. she was wearing this beautiful yellow dress...very Catherine Deneuve in Umbrellas from Cherbourg (which I'm sure is what she was going for). she and I were the only ones dancing. i wanted to live with her. we would share dresses and console each other every time some useless boy broke our hearts. and also dance to francoise hardy.

No comments: