Tuesday, May 15, 2007

foreigners edition

I'm cheating again. This is not on the subway. It's on 42nd street, on my way to work. But I had just gotten out of the subway! Anyway, this past week has been pretty intense…not knowing if I have a job, where I stand in my life, those sorts of things. And a year ago I was in Prague, basically thinking the same thing. So when I came out of Grand Central and saw this couple, it made me happy:




Sometimes it feels like nothing changes, but that's not true. Everything changes. Last year I was the tourist, this year I'm following the tourists. They kept looking up at the tall buildings, as most tourists do on 42nd street. It was finally a nice, warm day and they were strolling along. I thought about getting closer, so that I could hear them speak, but I kept my distance. I snapped a picture and kept listening to the Rolling Stones.


On Monday I had a job interview way downtown. I had sent out a billion resumes and got one response. This was my chance! I was on the west side. As I've mentioned before, I love the west side subway lines. Way more interesting creatures to observe. I really liked this couple:



Her hair was like some sort of crazy lesbian mullet rock star creation. And he just seemed so bumbling. But they were very sweet…and I think Dutch. I tried to listen, but taking your headphones off is SO obvious…although I still do while inebriated rather often. They were consulting a map/guide. He was wearing far too many rings.


I have NO IDEA where these ladies were from, but they were definitely speaking a foreign language last night:



It was about 12:30 in the morning and I was heading home after an evening of birthday/last day at work festivities. Thinking about how I'd miss the 4 and 5 trains since I will be on the 1 most of my life starting next week. They were talking and laughing. A guy right in front of me and to their right was trying to hit on them and they just laughed at him. Poor guy. Then, to my left, a fight broke out! As we stopped at 59th street, a guy threw some beer at a random lady and then another guy decided to defend her honor by jumping out of the train and punching the beer thrower. I believe he also broke his guitar in half in the process. Everyone stopped talking and just stared. I have no idea what provoked it, but it was kind of epic. I've lived here six years and last night I saw my first subway fight. YES.

No comments: