Monday, May 7, 2007

more pictures taken on mass transit

The following doesn’t strictly adhere to my mission of taking random pictures of strangers on the subway. But I think it’s close enough. He used to mean a lot to me, but by the time I took this picture, he was practically a stranger. And it’s not on the subway, it’s on the LIRR. Still, it’s public transportation and that’s close enough.



This was the moment I knew we were over and, for some reason, I wanted a picture. I guess to remember just how bad I felt, thinking that somehow it would ensure that I never feel that way again. I wanted to talk--we needed to talk--but he announced that he was going to sleep for the next two hours. I didn’t try to stop him.



I sat across from these two on the C train going uptown after a meeting. It was around 9 o’clock and everyone was tired.



I’ve decided to pair these two photos because it felt like the same situation. The man tilts his head back and tries to get some rest, but the woman looks like she can’t possibly do the same. Her eyes were wide and sad. She’s gripping onto him as if he’s slipping away.

I don’t know her, but the woman and I are the same.

No comments: