Saturday, May 19, 2007

things on heads edition

I went to an Arcade Fire show the other week, at the United Palace Theatre on Broadway at 175th street. After the show, the A train was so crowded you could barely move. Pale kids with dark glasses as far as the eye could see. This guy was my favorite:




While everyone else was busy showing their affection for one another or discussing the show, he decided to read. Usually subway trips are pretty quiet, depending of course on how drunk everyone is. This ride was quite lively but he chose to remove himself from the friendliness. His hat made him look like an old school paparazzo, which was actually pretty cool. I felt as though he was just waiting for someone to notice him.


This gentleman used his hat to convey messages to the world about himself:



It reminded me of middle school, when you used to put buttons on your backpack to show how cool you were: what bands you listened to (Weezer), how nice of a person you were ("Mean People Suck"), that kind of thing. This guy wanted us to know he was a bad ass motherfucker. His hat was tipped low; it meant Do Not Disturb.


This guy is so old school he's like the definition of old school:



I love that generation...the suit-and-hat-wearing generation: the last gentlemen. It's Mr. Greco (my highschool science teacher); it's Bob Ward (my mom's old boss, may he rest in peace). They are from a different era. And I tip my (non-existent) hat to them.


This woman kind of floored me. I see veils pretty often, and yet I'm still always taken aback by them. What made her special was that she was eating a bag of nuts she had bought off the street:



Just seeing her face, and the way the scarf was wrapped around her head, and then seeing that she was "Nuts 4 Nuts"…it was one of those moments where you have to take a second and remind yourself where you are. And then you're like, "Oh right, I'm in New York. It all makes sense now."

No comments: